Social Justice Ministries
“Lunch Bag” Ministry
Fairmont has a “Lunch Bag” ministry. We keep the fixin’s for a bag lunch and hand them out to those asking for food. Lunch Bags are distributed on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 11:00 AM to 1:00 PM. Food donations are welcome. Suggested donations : pop top tuna, other canned meat, fruit cups, juice boxes, other foods that don’t need to be heated.
Ongoing Service Opportunities
- Urban Ministries of Wake County: We receive a monthly offering for “crisis intervention” and gather food regularly for their food pantry.
- Healing Place For Men (bus to service each Sunday night, bus back after NA meeting)
- Dee Phillips Campership Fund (an endowed fund that provides some financial support to children in need going to one of our 3 camps)
- Flood buckets and health kits and school kits, in response to disasters or ongoing crises.
- Assist with distributing Lunch Bags.
Yearly Service Opportunities
- Stop Hunger Now’s Operation Sharehouse provides a hands on way to feed the world’s hungriest people. SHN, once headquartered at Fairmont, is now on Hillsborough Street near downtown Raleigh.
- CROPWALK For The Hungry: One Sunday, usually in early October, we join Raleigh’s finest citizens in “walking because they walk,” raising funds for the hungry of the world and Raleigh. The CROPWalk is program of Church World Service.
- Robeson County Church and Community Christmas Store (gifts taken around 2nd Monday of December each year)
- Work Teams (this year to Haiti)
- Adopting families at Christmas (usually 18-20, turkey, food, gifts for children)
- Christmas Eve Dinner for men of The Healing Place, women of Helen Wright Center for Women, women of Mission House for Women, and as many church members and guests as come.