The Permanent Endowment Fund Committee met last week and has been educating us to their purpose and how the funds are administered.
What about the Fairmont Permanent Endowment Fund? The fund has existed for 40 years. Within that period thousands of dollars have been awarded to adults and youths in the church for a variety of purposes, including:
Church & Wesley student mission trips, Summer Camp Scholarships, Early Learning Center Security System, Camp #livedifferently, College scholarships for Fairmont High School students, Women of Faith Choir (and much more).
The program is administered by lay members and church officers. Donations may be given to the Foundation in many different form of assets, such as memorials, wills, trust funds, annuities, and tangible property. Endowment Funds are invested in the North Carolina United Methodist Conference Foundation. Applications for Endowment Fund grants are available in the church office and here. PEF Grant Application. Also available are high school senior college scholarships and summer camp scholarships (see below).
Attention High School Seniors - Mary Christian Higher Education Scholarship
Fairmont youth and our church have benefitted immensely from the generous endowment gift of deceased member, Mary Christian. The Permanent Endowment Committee administers her endowment gift to Fairmont. Honoring her memory, the committee has established THE MARY CHRISTIAN HIGHER EDUCATION SCHOLARSHIP. Fairmont youth who are high school graduates are eligible to receive a $2000 grant upon enrollment in an institution of higher education.
Requirements for Fairmont youth to receive the $2000 scholarship are straight forwarded. They are:
1. Be a member of Fairmont United Methodist Church
2. Be awarded a high school diploma
3. Be admitted to an institution of higher education
4. Submit a completed application form to the Fairmont Permanent Endowment Committee
Application forms are available in the church office.
Summer Camp Grants available for FUMC Youth
The Fairmont Permanent Endowment has money available for Fairmont youth to participate in summer camps sponsored by the NC United Methodist Conference. Through the years Fairmont young people have attended one or more summer adventure and activity programs at the following locations:
1. Camp Don Lee (www.donleecenter.org) located on the Carolina coast.
2. Camp Chestnut Ridge (www.campchestnutridge.org) located in nearby Orange County offering horseback riding, swimming, farm life, and outdoor educational activities
3. Rockfish Outdoor Center (www.rockfishoutdoorcenter.org) located in the NC sandhills offering camp experiences for first time campers as well as explorer experiences for veteran campers.
Fairmont Youth - check out these sites and make plans to attend a camp of your choice. The Permanent Endowment Fund has designated camp funds. Application forms for grants are available in the church office and here.